Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blog # 4

Choose any one of the four plays you have read in Week Two and describe a new understanding that you reached after reading the play about racism in our country and its origins.
From our second week’s readings, I have found each of the plays to teach me a little bit about our American history that I did not know. I often found myself thinking that this was a history book and not plays that I was reading about. With many of the plays taking place only miles from me, such as Pow Wow; or, The Great Victory, I found it interesting of how much I didn’t know. Looking at the other stories though, I wanted to talk about 12-1-A, a national event that took place further than my home, but yet is very relevant in our Nations past.
The history of Japanese people during the outbreak of World War 2 at Pearl Harbor was taught to me at one time, but not to the same effect that 12-1-A was able to bring it to me as. Starting with the Japanese Immigration, most of Japanese people seemed to have lived on the west coast. They had their different generations of the issei, nisei, and the sansei of how they were interpreted as belonging to an American status. It was not until the event of Pearl Harbor that these people really were starting to be looked at differently.
Immediately upon the bombing of Pearl Harbor, camps were set up for all Japanese American people. Everyone was forced to sell their belongings and go to these camps. How harsh this must have been on them, living ordinary lives and all of a sudden have to sell everything or pretty much give it up because even money meant nothing in their hands. It reminded me of them going on to the concentration camps across the ocean, no power what so ever, even though they were part of America. The rooms were small and they were surrounded by guards with limited sanitary facilities and luxuries. Wakako Yamauchi painted the picture in the set that all you had with you were pretty much a few pairs of clothes and prized belongings. Your family was dying and you did not know what the future was to turn out to be, these were terrible circumstances.
The worst part of the play seemed to be these surveys they filled out; it was a death trap no matter which way they answered. Once they reached a certain part of the survey, they needed to answer that they were either going to say they were loyal to America and would be willing to fight in the front lines of the war, or you would answer no and be sent to an even worse prisoner camp and risk being separated from the family. Even in an American government controlled facility at this time, people seemed to have their rights taken away and could not stand up for themselves, primarily because of their race and were associated with the people that started the attacks on us at Pearl Harbor. The nation probably looked at it as an act of national security, but regardless, I would not want to picture ourselves in the same predicament if some white Englishmen bombed us, would we all be put in camps to protect the nation because we could have affiliations with the attackers.
Racism has evolved from those times. Now, at least I would hope that we treat people on a more personal basis and don’t condemn everyone. You did not see us starting up prisoner camps for any Middle Eastern People when the world trade towers were hit. The author tried to recreate a piece of history to reflect on the hardship that his people went through. They have the same emotions as we do, but were not necessarily treated with the same respect and dignity and have the same rights as any other Americans. It goes back to what I have said in other blogs, everyone can be an exception to the rule. You do not have to fit your stereotype and everyone should be treated fairly.
After finishing the chapter 12-1-A, I thought; how many other people in our country do not know about these historic events as we now do. I would encourage anyone to pick up these plays and read them to learn our nations past and how racism was dictated to present day and how other races are just as human as white people.

2 comments:

  1. Though I chose to talk about Wedding Band, as a few others did, after reading over the play for our current paper and reading your blog post, I’m beginning to like 12-1-A more and more. It really was a vivid picture of the past and paints a good picture of what America was like during this time, at least for the people who were supposedly Americans, though they were treated as if they personally had bombed Pearl Harbor, a comment Michio makes when he comes back from working on the outside. It is truly shocking to not just read about the surveys that those in the internment camps were given, but to read about the characters receiving these questionnaires and having to make the tough decision of what to answer. I was mad at Mitch for choosing to rebel and answer “no,” because even if he wanted to stand alone, he must’ve known that his family wouldn’t want to be separated and his mother couldn’t bear to lose her only son.

    I think a lot has changed, and I would hope we wouldn’t have another time where we force people away from their homes and into camps. It was a decision that probably made sense at the time, but I can’t quite understand why it was chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12-1-A has scored a place in my heart. I found myself becoming addicted to this play. I did not want to put my book down. And doing homework over break is not fun but I enjoyed this play. I had an opportunity to go over to Germany and visit a Concentration Camp about two years ago and 12-1-A resembled these camps in my mind. The rooms were small and empty; the people of these camps were forced to be there because of their culture. It truly was sad. I couldn’t image selling everything in my house and moving into such a small non-attractive place.

    I hated the part of the play when they had to fill out the surveys. It was like choosing the rest of your life. It was a death trap. America wanted their help on their front line or they would suffer more by attending another camp. I am happy that the family decided to stay together.

    I agree with your opening paragraph, these plays have taught me more about the history of racism than my old history book. I would encourage others to pick up this book and read.

    ReplyDelete