Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog # 3

What does it mean to be a racist? If we laugh at a racist joke are we racists? What is the connection between racism and the act of discrimination?
When confronted with the question, what does it mean to be a racist; many people may feel kind of hesitant to respond. You know that the word does not necessarily reflect well when used, and if you go about describing without careful words, you may offend somebody. My perspective of being a racist is and individual, or a group with a common mindset that looks at another person that belongs to a group of people as being so wrong intended or different that they are inferior to what you believe in. This is by far not a textbook definition, but can maybe be clarified slightly. When I stated that “a person that belongs to a group of people,” it could be a race such a negro, Indian, Japanese, ect, or it could be a group of people that belong to a stereotype. I did not want to use the word different before “a group of people…” because you might belong to the same group that you are stereotyping. It may not be as common to be racist towards your group, but you may look at others and say that they are wrong.
The question of when it is ok to laugh at a racist joke reminds me a lot of our second blog, when it ok to laugh at jokes portrayed at different stereotypes and ethnicities. I feel the same in regards to the last response. It greatly depends on the context in which the joke is given. If you are with a group of your friends and you get off topic and a joke like this a rises, then it may be ok, but I would never go up to a stranger and say a racist joke to them. In plays, or even when told a joke, I may find it funny in that it is suppose to represent a broad stereotype of that group of people, but I will never take it to heart. From our text when talking about Indians, the playwrights state in the style portion that “Audience members are constantly reminded that they are watching a performance and are never expected to accept what is taking place in front of them as real.” This is supporting evidence that the playwrights feel the same about their plays. They are not trying to pick fun at a race, but are instead trying to break the ice and to make fun of stereotypes of people of a race.
The final portion of the question addresses the difference between racism and the act of discrimination. I feel that the difference almost speaks for itself. Anybody may be a racist in one way or another. You may not admit it, but in your head you may have some negative thoughts that pertain to a race or group of people and find yourself saying, “Hey, I shouldn’t be thinking of these people like this,” but this does not necessarily mean you are a racist. On the other hand, the act of discrimination is where I believe you are more defined as a racist. When you are freely willing to speak or act out on your feelings and discriminate against another group of people, you have way more feelings wound up inside of you that you are not able to keep them in. When feel that you have to express these thoughts and are inconsiderate of how other people, you cross the line of being a racist by acting upon and discriminating against people.

3 comments:

  1. Looking at most of the blog posts for this week, I see a common theme of defining racism, which I guess is meant to answer one of the questions we were asked to take a look at. However, I like how you broke the trend a bit and went with your own definition of racism, and even clarified it for those who might be confused. I do also think that this was a hard topic to think about because it’s something most people shy away from for fear of being thought of as offensive or racist themselves.

    I agree with your idea between discrimination and racism. I never thought of it this way, but it makes sense that someone could be having racist thoughts but not necessarily be racist until he or she commits the act of discrimination.

    I saw your reply to Lindsey’s blog post and I think you had some good ideas in there as well, such as how living in a small town being an influence on racism. I actually grew up in a larger city, but there wasn’t necessarily a lot of diversity. Up until my senior year of high school, there were only a few students who weren’t white. Then my school started accepting students from the cities. Still, I don’t think I ever saw a problem with racism (not as much as religious intolerance, anyway), which is most likely due to growing up under parents who had at least been exposed to enough diversity to teach their children well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree that racism is a construct of the mind while discrimination is the application of racism to the lives of others. I’d like to respectfully share a different perspective on racially prejudiced comedy however.

    Personally, I’m not sure that laughing at jokes offensive to other groups is ever appropriate, regardless of context. If you openly express amusement at home, you condition yourself to react the same way in public where it may carry significant social consequences. It’s similar to freely swearing with your buddies and trying to keep a clean mouth at work; some slipups are almost inevitable. In a professional workplace, one ill-timed “oops” could torpedo your opportunities for advancement.

    Additionally, by not stepping up and calling a spade a spade, you allow racist attitudes (and perhaps discriminatory behavior) to perpetuate unchecked. Splashing cold water on a friend’s humor is never fun but if you do, they’ll almost surely honor your objection and refrain from telling any more off-color jokes in your presence. That in turn spares others in your circle from such yarns, the missing punch lines won’t be repeated to their friends, and so on. Imagining the propagation of humor as a web, cutting even a few cords can considerably slow its spread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You started off with a good solid introduction. I like how you clearly stated your own definition. Everyone kind of uses a dictionary definition when describing something, but how much of that definition actually stays in someone’s brain? Your definition as well as the way you described it will help the reader better understand.

    Racism is a hard subject to talk about because it could truly offend someone. Laughing at a racist joke is something harder to talk about. I believe the environment someone is in determines whether someone should laugh or not. It truly depends on the individual and/or environment.

    Wow, solid ending! I really like the way you described what being a racist is and the act of discrimination. I completely agree that everyone has a little bit of racist in them, even though they will never admit it but the carrying out the racism is what makes something an act of discrimination. I have never thought of this your way. (Having Racist thoughts, doesn’t necessarily mean your racist) I guess I just have always thought if you think racist, you are racist. Well Done.

    I saw you commented on my post. It definitely is different growing up in a small town and not being exposed to different things. Angie, I read your comment and I find it fascinating that you didn’t see and racism happening when your school started to accept students from the cities. THIS IS AWESOME!! See, our country is changing and racism is hopefully dying out day by day.

    ReplyDelete